The three most popular times to have a protein smoothie are at breakfast, lunch and after a grueling workout. While it’s easy to chuck a scoop or two of protein powder into some water or milk and shake like your life depended on it, it’s a lot healthier to add a few more ingredients and push down on a NutriBullet (our preferred blender) – especially if your smoothie is doubling as a meal replacement.
Breakfast Protein Smoothie Tips
- The best breakfast smoothies contain milk, protein powder and one or two fruits combined with a few whole ingredients such as fruit, seeds, nuts, peanut butter, and greens.
- If you’re pressed for time in the morning, you can prep most of these ingredients in advance.
- Fruits like bananas and berries can be cut up and frozen, so you don’t have to worry about how fresh they are. If you don’t want to cut them up, you can buy them already chopped and frozen in large bags from the supermarket.
- For almost all these recipes you can swap regular milk for other healthier milk variations (soy, almond or cashew).
- You can also substitute milk for water for a more vegan-friendly option, though it won’t be as filling or tasty.
- If you like your smoothies to be extra cold and crisp, you can add a few ice cubes.
- If you like your smoothies thicker, you can add a spoonful of yoghurt (Greek is the best choice).
- If you like your smoothies to be healthier, you can add a sneaky handful of spinach (or green powder).
Most people have a few ‘go-to’ recipes that they stick to because it’s easier and they don’t have time to sift through hundreds of smoothie recipes to find the best ones. Well, we’ve put in the hard yards to find you 5 of the best smoothie recipes for breakfast– ones that don’t just taste great but are also great for your body. We’ve also deliberately picked recipes with basic ingredients that most people either have or can buy easily/quickly. Let’s get stuck into it!
The 5 Best Breakfast Smoothie Recipes
Ingredients: Protein Powder, Banana, Strawberries, Rolled Oatmeal, Peanut Butter and Milk/Water
This is your standard breakfast smoothie. It’s basic and it works, every time. If you’d rather a pick-me-up in the morning, we recommend swapping the strawberries for a good shot of coffee. Strawberries can also be easily subbed out for blueberries and rolled oatmeal can be replaced with raw oatmeal, if that’s all you have.
We recommend the vanilla, strawberry or banana flavoured ATP Science Noway Protein.
Ingredients: Protein Powder, Mango, Mixed Berries (Blueberries, Raspberries and Blackberries) and Milk/Water
This is an extra-fruity smoothie that feels very exotic and tropical, despite it only containing a few simple ingredients. It’s super easy and fast to make if you keep a giant bag of frozen mango and mixed berries in the freezer, both of which are readily available at Woolworths and Coles.
We recommend the French Vanilla flavour Power Plant Protein by Prana On.
Ingredients: Protein Powder, Coffee, Cacao Powder, Vanilla Extract, Peppermint Oil or Extract and Milk/Water
This is a uniquely fresh minty protein smoothie that is perfect for breaking up the monotony of bananas and berries. It’s one for the coffee lovers who don’t have time to smash a coffee and a smoothie.
We recommend the Chocolate Mint flavour Gold Standard Whey Protein by Gold Standard.
Ingredients: Protein Powder, Cashews, Spinach, Cocoa Powder, Cherries, Banana and Milk/Water
We love a protein smoothie that mixes it up and includes ingredients that you’d never think to mix. This is one of those. It’s a wild choc smoothie that asks you to have a little faith as you push down on the blender. Trust us and give this one a go, you won’t be disappointed.
We recommend the Delicious Chocolate flavour OxyWhey Protein by EHP Labs.
Ingredients: Protein Powder, Blueberries, Pineapple, Spinach, Chia Seeds, Silvered Almonds and Milk/Water
This bright purple smoothie will fill you up until lunch and give you enough energy to tackle whatever the day brings. The combination of chia seeds and almonds gives it a more textured mouth feel and the pineapple sweetens it up nicely. Our whole team loves this smoothie and for us, it’s entered the weekly rotation.
We recommend the standard Vanilla flavour 100% Whey Protein by Scitec Nutrition.